[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Monday, April 24th, 2006|
I have been too busy to update, but I guess that it payid off as I got the result of my tenure and promotion review. I got tenure and got promoted to Associate Professor of Chemistry effective August 1st 2006.
|Sunday, December 18th, 2005|
Is there anything worse than being sick when you far away from home???
|Friday, December 16th, 2005|
Well, I survived the flight (I am claustrophobic - sp?) and I am now in Argentina and I cannot wait to get back home. 9 days till I get back home.
|Friday, December 9th, 2005|
The semester is almost over! One more final to give and grade and I am free till Jaunary 3rd!!!
Of course I will not get any rest because I am going to Argentina for Xmas ... I don't want to go. I hate flying and the flight is 10 hours long. But my sister is going to baptise the kid and I am the Godmother, so I should be there.
By the way, my sister moved to Miami, so now my nephew is not an hour away anymore...
|Sunday, September 25th, 2005|
|It is done!
Well, the tenure and promotion is done or at least as done as it will ever be. I left it in the Division Office and now I just have to wait till May 06 to see what the decision is. At least I can go back to teach full time now.
I am going to bed and I plan on sleeping till tomorrow morning. Maybe that way I will get rid of this cold.
|Wednesday, September 21st, 2005|
|It has been a LONG time ...
I am not sure I will survive this week. My tenure and promotion package are due on Friday and I just started working on it today. I hope I finish on time, I worked on it from 6 am till 8 pm today (I only stopped for 2 hours to teach my two lectures and one hour for lunch). I don't have too much time tomorrow as I have a lecture and a lab. Why do I always wait til the last minute? I have known for 6 months that the package was due Friday ...
I did watch NCIS, House and L&O:SVU yesterday instead of working on it!
|Saturday, August 6th, 2005|
I am helping one of my coworkers build a one car garage that he will be using as a workshop. I was told I will be able to use it for my woodworking projects too when it is done as a form of payment!!!
We did most od the vinyl siding on Friday, now we have the annoying small details left. I hope we get it done before classes start again.
Next Tuesday we will be helping the other chemist torn the other baywindow and replace it with french doors.
I need to get in touch with Habitat for Humanity and see where they are with the building projects and see where I can help the most. I will be done with the projects with my coworkers soon and I need other building projects!
I love that kind of work.
Unfortunately, Fall planning week starts on Thrusday and classes start Aug. 17th. I love my job, but I wanted a little more than just ONE week in between Summer and Fall semester.
I took my nephew to "Yellow River Game Ranch" (a kind of zoo/petting zoo) on Thrusday. Yes, I went on my own ...
We turned his car seat around, so he had his first ride facing forward, he loved it!
He had a blast, he was pointing everywhere, all the animals running around free, he tried to stand up on his stroller to get closer to the animals (the neourotic (sp?) aunt will not let him touch them ... ). I kept telling him the names of the animals when he pointed at them, but he is one year old, he won't remember them.
He was so excited that he didn't realize it was an hour past his normal lunch time. So when we got back to my car and he saw the Gerber jar (my BIL gave it to me just in case the place didn't have any food - good planing!!!) he went nuts and wanted to eat! He ate the entire jar + a full bottle of milk.
He behaved like a little gentleman, no tantrums, no cries. I took him back to his house where he ate some more and his da put him down for a nap!
|Sunday, July 24th, 2005|
|Several Things ...
Well, I survived baby-sitting the monster for 2 days. I REALLY don't know how parents do it. He was a well behaved baby, but still wore me down, everytime he took a nap, I needed one too. And as soon as my sister and BIL got back home, I left in a hurry. I had my bag and laptop in the car already by the time they got home, I handed the kid back and got in my car for the drive back to my quiet and non-child proofed house. I love that kid, but he has way too much energy for me.
On other matters, I spent the last 2 Saturdays helping my coworkers built stuff. One Saturday I helped demolish a baywindow (a LOT of fun!!!) and replace it with a french door. We will have to go back and do the same with the other baywindow later. The other Saturday I helped the other guy build a workshop the size of a one car garage, that as also a lot of fun. We built the walls, put the OSB on the outside, the roof trusses. We will have to go back to put the roof and the vinyl siding next weekend.
I am back to going to different specialists to see if they can figure out what is worng with me ... My stomach is giving me trouble, my iron is very low (the Red Cross didn't let me donate blood) ... But at least I am going to the gym everyday and have more energy than ever before.
One more week of teaching summer school left! And then one week off until Fall Planning Week starts and then classes start again Aug. 17th.
|Thursday, June 30th, 2005|
I just came back from my nephew's birthday party. He just turned one, so the party wasn't actually for him ...
We connected the webcam so my parents and siblings in Argentina could see the kiddo make a real mess with his cake!
I need to get to bed because I have to teach tomorrow at 8 am. I'll post a cute picture of him with the present I made for him tomorrow (I don't care about him being on the picture, I just want to brag about the toy chest I built for him!!!).
|Tuesday, June 28th, 2005|
|I can't sleep ...
And I have to teach tomorrow from 8 am till 3 pm ... It is going to be a LONG day. If I get through this week, there are only 4 weeks left till summer school is over.
I have been going to the gym everyday at 6 am. I can't believe that I have been doing it for almost 4 weeks. And most days I go again in the afternoon after my classes. It makes me feel really good.
I bought an old dresser, sanded the old finish and refinish it. It looks awsome! I am also working on a toy chest for my nephew's first birthday. The problem is that the birthday is Thrusday and I am not sure it will be done by then. But he will be one year old, he won't know the difference if I get it to him during the weekend, right? I am adding small animal shapes and his name to the sides of the chest. It is looking good ...
|Wednesday, May 18th, 2005|
|What else has been going on???
1. I don’t know what to do about this. I have been a construction volunteer for Habitat for Humanity for 5 years. I just love the construction work. Our local chapter wants to sponsor a Women’s Build (all the work, from fundraising to the actual construction of the house, is done by women). I am all for it even thought I don’t think we will get enough women that will be able to help with the construction work. We just don’t have enough women with the knowledge to build a house on our own. To make things even worse they asked me to be the “construction supervisor”. That means that I will be in charge of the construction site, I don’t know what to do, I want to help, but I just don’t have that amount of time to commit to the project. I might have to tell them that I will help, but I just cannot commit to that position.
2. I want to go see Star Wars: Episode III!!! I know, I am a Geek. I don’t think I’ll go to the mid-night show tonight; I might have to wait till next week.
3. I need a new TV show to obsess over. Any suggestions?
4. And the BIG UPDATE: I got the approval notice for my Green Card!!! I am now a permanent resident of the United States! I don’t need to renew my visa every three years anymore and in five years I can apply for citizenship. And I will, even though it will make my mom very mad at me.
5. I haven't read fanfic in a VERY long time. Any suggestions?
6. I am sure I am forgetting a lot of stuff. I will update about what has been going on at work soon.
|It has been a LONG time ...
OK, now that the semester from H@#L is over I'll update. I think the first update will be about my cute nephew …
1. My nephew is just adorable!!! He is now 10 months old, is crawling and loves to get into trouble. He has a strange fascination with electrical outlets and can play with a shoebox for hours … If given a toy and a steak knife, he will choose the knife … That boy will be trouble.
2. While on the topic of my nephew, I will be his baby-sitter next Tuesday and Wednesday. My BIL is going to Italy and my sister has a business trip to Chicago, so I am in charge. That will involve giving him dinner, his bath, putting him to bed (that will be hard), getting him ready for daycare the next day … too much! I hope he behaves. I am not sure I have the energy to deal with him for so long, I love him to pieces, but I honestly don’t know how parents do it 24x7. Congratulations to all the parents that I know! You have my admiration!
3. That kid has been on an airplane more times than I have this year. He went to New Jersey in January, Argentina to visit the grandparents in March, he is going to Italy next week and Argentina and Brazil in July. A well-traveled baby.
4. Also about my nephew (I think there is a pattern here …, yes, I am a proud aunt), my sister and BIL chose me to be the Godmother.
|Saturday, January 29th, 2005|
We got some freezing rain overnight. The entire north part of the state is covered with freezing rain and sleet. Considering that this is GA, nothing is happening and it might last for a couple of days until it melts. At least not many idiots are trying to drive, so there are not many accidents. The cops are asking people to stay home so the DOT can try to clean the freezing rain out of the roads.
I know better than to drive on freezing rain, so I am planning on spending the day at home grading lab reports. Also, I don't enjoy cleaning freezing rain out of my car, I have done it in MA once and I am not looking forward to doing it again. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be in the 40s, so we might get back to normal by then.
At least the power didn't go out, so I can watch TV and surf the web while grading.
I had my last two wisdom teeth removed yesterday. It went a lot better that I expected.
I had a 9 am appointment, because I was VERY afraid, I went to work early and graded some papers. Then I went to the doctor's office. It took him 10 minutes to pull both teeth out. I couldn't believe it was done. It was done under local, so I could drive myself home.
I was feeling OK, so I went back to work. I couldn't talk much, so another chemist gave my 11 am class even though I was in the building. My students have enough trouble understanding chemistry, no need to make things worse for them if they couldn't understand what I was saying.
I came back home at 5 pm and slept for 12 hours straight. I was never in pain, I hope it stays like that.
|Saturday, January 15th, 2005|
|How do they do it?
Yesterday I was in charge of my 6-month old nephew. My sister is in NJ working and BIL had a bussiness trip for the day to NYC.
So I had to drive the baby to daycare, drive an hour to get to work, teach my classes, drive another hour to pick him up and take him home. That part was stressfull (specially because I had to deal w/ metro Atlanta traffic, which I usually don't have to, because I live and work in the middle of nowhere) but OK.
Then we got to their place ... and he started crying like I was about to torture him to death ... I managed to figure out that he was hungry. I fed him and gave him a bath (which he USUALLY loves, but not yesterday). He loves being in the water, but hates being dressed ... which makes me think about some interesting career possibilities for his future. Then I gave him a bottle and my sister was trying to call me, every time I tried to reach the phone and he started crying. My sister got worried and called the neighbour to check on us!!! He finally felt sleep and I collapsed on the couch ...
Is it possible that he was missing his parents? Isn't he too young for that? I know that when they are a little older (like around 9 months) they go crazy when they are not w/ their parents.
I was exhausted after just a couple of hours. I don't know how parents do it day after day. Congratulations!
|Saturday, January 1st, 2005|
|Happy Birthday to me!
My birthday is tomorrow, but because my sister, BIL and nephew were leaving for NJ today, she gave me my present today. I got a featherbed for my bed ... I've it on already. It is sooooo confy ...
And of course, I have her dogs with me now. They are behaving rather odly. They are not eating. I hope they get better soon.
Oh! And tomorrow is my last day off ... Where did my vacation went? I am kind of looking forward to going back to work, but I am not ready to start. I have to get the syllabus ready and we are changing one of the labs and it is the first time I teach that one, so I have to come up with the experimentents.
|Thursday, December 30th, 2004|
|XMass was OK
1. I got to spend a lot of time with my nephew. He is 6 months old now and a lot more interactive. He smiles and "plays" with you. He is also turning himself around (it is so funny to watch him try! lol) and he is starting to sit down. He is too cute!!!
2. Got some nice presents!!! And my sis and BIL liked the presents I got them. My nephew also like his, but he likes anything that he can put on his mouth!
3. NO WORK!!! I still have a couple of days off until we go back to work January 3rd (why is it that we start back so soon???).
4. We actually managed to fix my sister's family room ceiling hole before they got sick. I have been meaning to do that for 2 months now.
1. My sister and BIL got food posoning!!! She will never learn!!!
2. Family issues with my parents again!!!
3. My stomach is acting up again. Everytime I try to eat something, my stomach aches. I have been surviving on pepsi and decaf coffee since Saturday. It might be the time to go get some liquid nutrional suplements, I wanted to avoid going back on those again, but it has been too long since I have been able to eat a meal.
|Monday, December 20th, 2004|
I just finished watching "The American President" AGAIN. Just in time to catch "No Way Out" on A&E ... Kevin Costner wearing a Navy uniform 17 years ago ...
|Friday, December 17th, 2004|
I am a masochist. Why do I keep watching JAG if I hate the direction they are taking the show?